What is in your tap water?
5 Reasons to filter your tap water
Filtering both your drinking and bathing water can make a huge difference to conditions such as asthma, eczema and multiple chemical sensitivity. It also helps to reduce the total load of pollutants that you are exposed to on a daily basis.The water companies do an excellent job cleaning and delivering millions of litres of drinkable water each and every day. There is no new water so the water that is delivered to your home is recycled. The following is a list of reasons to filter your water.
- Taste - Chlorine is added to our water supply to kill bacteria and make it safe to drink but it leaves a strong taste in the water.
- Smell - When water is heated for a shower or a bath the chlorine in the water is given off as a gas. Chlorine attacks organic organisms so when you breathe in the chlorine fumes they can attack the lining of your nasal passages into your lungs.
- Drying your skin - Again chlorine is a harsh chemical and will remove the natural oils from your skin and leave it dry. This is particluarly damaging for people with eczema.
- Oestrogen and other chemicals in your water - Since the tap water is recycled it can contain residues of chemicals, particularily oestrogen that originated from the birth control pill. Other chemicals such as pesticides and herbicides from farming run-off can also be in our water suppply.
- Bateria and viruses - These can be found in our water if there was insufficient chlorine used in the water cleaning system. It is possible that bacteria may be found in the miles of pipes the water travels through.