Having experienced a Christmas many years ago when we had to remove a fully decorated Christmas tree from the house and leave it outside in the snow, we can identify with the many people who find that a real Christmas tree exacerbates allergic symptoms and know it can sometimes make the sufferers feel pretty miserable. The article from Sunday's Sun is below.  "Researchers have reported that the high mold count in live Christmas trees may become problematic for people with mold allergies.

The study has revealed a five times higher mold count in live Christmas trees compared to the number found two weeks after the tree was brought indoors.

These high levels are believed to be correlated with allergic rhinitis and an increased rate of asthma symptoms and asthma-related hospitalization.

According to the study presented in the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology annual meeting, while mold allergies peak in the fall, a second peak is reported during the holiday season due to Christmas trees especially in mold-sensitive patients.

An artificial tree may be a better option for people with mold allergies; however, they carry their own problems, especially if they have been stored in the attic or basement where they collect dust and mold.

Other potential holiday allergens include foods consumed at holiday parties, such as nuts and shellfish, and Christmas ornaments and lights contaminated with dust or mold."