Scientist from the University of Leicester have discovered that many asthmatics who are allergic to mould actually have the mould growing in their own lungs.

This research, led by scientists at Glenfield Hospital, was published in the December 2010 issue of the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine.

The researchers carried out a study examining the impact of a common environmental mould Asperigillusfumigates on asthmatics. The study's aim was to determine whether the problem of A. fumigatus growing in the lungs is more common than previously thought, and whether this could explain the fixed narrowing of the airways that occurs in some people with asthma.

Professor Andy Wardlaw from the University of Leicester said: "Asthma is a very common condition where the breathing tubes(bronchi) can go into spasm making it difficult to breathe. Around a fifth of adults with severe asthma, which they have had for a long time, get permanent (fixed) narrowing of their bronchi. It is known that A. fumigatus can grow in the lungs of some people with asthma and mould allergy, which can cause severe lung damage.

"This problem is thought to only affect a very small number of people with asthma; however, about half of people with severe asthma have evidence of allergy to moulds like A. fumigatus."

Professor Wardlaw concluded: "Our study showed that 6 out of 10 people with asthma who were allergic to A. fumigatus grew the mould from their sputum. We also found that if you were allergic to A. fumigatus you had more narrowing of the airways than if you were not allergic, and this was worse in patients from whom A.fumigatus was grown.

"Our research concluded that it is possible that fixed narrowing of breathing tubes in many people with asthma could be caused by A.fumigatus growing in their lungs."

In colder months houses are often closed upand the humidity level rises. The result is condensation on cold surfaces likewindows. This moist air is encouraging mould growth. A dehumidifier is an effective way to remove excess moisture in the home disabling mould growth. Our Allergy Sprays offer a non-toxic of killing mould and denaturing the allergens.