You have no items in your shopping cart.

Call us on 01453 752216

Product was successfully added to your shopping cart.

Kit's experiences of Asthma

Kit shares his asthma story

Unlike many people who have asthma mine did not develop until the end of primary school. For the majority of my childhood I had no serious health problems other than the occasional scratch or bruise. 
Looking back I struggle to pinpoint an exact date or even year that I began to feel any symptoms. Melodramatically I try to create an immense ordeal to explain my asthma developing. I try to accuse a year long exchange to Canada that my parents, both teachers, took part in when I was nine. In my imagination Canada becomes a frozen tundra, in which I spend each day battling the elements. One evening I am taken ill with pneumonia  and the following morning I find that I am asthmatic. 
Although It is true that I did spend a year in Canada, and even that I suffered slightly form mild pneumonia there was no point at which I suddenly became asthmatic.  My asthma developed slowly. Occasionally I found myself coughing unexpectedly or struggling to breathe after a run. For me it was more like a cold I never quite got off my chest. A cold that I forgot for most of the time. 
This is probably how I can best explain my asthma. It isn't something that I am constantly aware of, that I struggle with every day. For the majority of the time I feel like I have no illness at all. That is not to say that my asthma isn't serious. I have suffered many serious attacks and late night visits to the hospital. However, between my attacks I often forget that my asthma exists.
Since starting work at the Healthy House I have been lucky enough to learn much more about my asthma, its possible triggers, and ways to treat it before reaching for my pump. 
I acquired a horrid chesty cough and cold some time in the Christmas holidays. By New Year's morning I started to feel an ominous tickle in the back of my throat which developed into a full blown, disgusting, phlegmy cough in time for my return to work. Each time I coughed it caused a coughing fit which triggered my asthma making it even harder to breathe. I became more and more reliant on my small, blue Ventolin pump, which I kept close by at all times, but the more I used it the less effective it seemed. Sleeping became almost impossible and by the time work started I was a pale, exhausted wreck. 
Maxima, one of the founders of the company, suggested that I try using a humidifier to ease my breathing and calm my asthma. I was amazed by how quickly I began to feel more like myself. My airways relaxed and I stopped wheezing. There was still the occasional cough but now I was able to bring up phlegm which made the coughing feel more useful. By the time I set off home I felt notably recovered.
My attitude towards small parts of my daily routine has changed after beginning work for The Healthy House. Before working here I used to survive on horrid unsubstantial powder soups for lunch. This meant that by mid afternoon I had lost concentration and was in an irritable mood. Inspired by the homemade soup Maxima had brought to an office lunch I resolved to make my own to bring in for lunch. I can proudly say this is still going strong and that I feel much better for it.